Author Topic: The First Contest Topic  (Read 39887 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Keylogger.Org Active Participant
  • I love Keylogger.Org!
    • View Profile
The First Contest Topic
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:49 AM »
The first topic is:

THE WAYS TO GRANT THE SECURITY OF DATA STORED ON A FLASH MEMORY CARD (or any other portable memory device) WHEN IT IS CONNECTED TO THE UNTRUSTED COMPUTER.

Security Contest

From now on we are starting an intellectual contest on our site. We have no doubt that everyone will find it challenging to win a free license for high quality monitoring and anti-keylogging software. We have contacted the vendors and they have agreed to provide FREE licenses for their programs as a prize for the winners. You will get an opportunity to enjoy the high level of performance of:

All In One Keylogger 2.9 by RELYTEC;

Elite Keylogger 3.6 by WIDESTEP SECURITY SOFTWARE;

Powered Keylogger 2.2.1.1981 by ELTIMA SOFTWARE GmbH;

PrivacyKeyboard by GLOBAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (UK) LIMITED;

Stealth Keylogger 4.9 by AMPLUSNET;

WinSession Logger 4.4 by CROMOSOFT TECHNOLOGIES.

Everyone, starting with a user of little experience to a professional, can take part in the contest. The rules are very simple, there are no limitations:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:59:27 AM by admin »

Offline frozen

• Keylogger.Org Honored Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: The First Contest Topic
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:30:44 AM »
Hi Forum Admin. Are you looking for keeping your data safe if your flash card/usb memory stick is stolen or falls into the wrong hands?
Thanks

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Keylogger.Org Active Participant
  • I love Keylogger.Org!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:11:08 AM »
Hi, frozen,

The essence of the first topic is that you may reflect on any aspect that regards keeping safe your data stored on a portable memory device and any means of making you the only person able to access this sensitive data. You are welcome to choose the case that you may consider the most frequent or of a particular interest and make an informative post  that may come in handy to an owner of such a device. If your post is evaluated as really essential and you take one of the first places, you are going to receive one of the prize programs ( the one you like best and choose) for free.

As you can see, it is the first topic of our Contest and there will be plenty of opportunities for our visitors to win software.  So, join in, thanks in advance for your posts ;)

34yo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:04:01 AM »
A great idea ;) I mean your contest ;D I would like to have Stealth keylogger.

I think that the best way to protect your data is to buy a flash card with fingerprint authentication. It\'s a common knowledge that every human has unique fingerprints and in case you lose your card or it appears to be in the wrong hands no one will be able to access the data stored on the card as there won\'t be your fingerprints to grant such access.  There\'s no need to worry unless you lose your fingers or they are cut off :o ;D As to the case when the card is connected to the untrusted computer, I\'ve heard a thing, if I\'m not mistaken there\'s an anti-monitoring software which is kept on your card and when you connect to a computer it will install itself and disable any spy program, so you may be sure your data is safe. And of course it\'s natural that you shouldn\'t conect to computers in cafes or other public places.

I\'ll try to find some additional information, so it\'s not my last post here as I was serious saying that I would like to get that keylogger for free ;D

wantprize

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:46:03 AM »
OK...quite a decent protection :) but as soon as you complete authentication with your finger (let\'s hope it remains undamaged ;D) a computer will be able to access the flash card, to be more precise the stored data. It\'s not a big deal to write a program that would make you think it\'s scanning data in search for a virus, but in fact would simply copy the information ;)

34yo

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 04:04:57 AM »
As I\'ve said there are flash cards with the special software installed, it\'s an anti-keylogger and once you connect the card to a computer it disables keyloggers and your data is not captured, those are cards with Xkey technology, for example. A friend of mine has shown me such a card and it was pretty impressive as we installed several keyloggers on purpose and they didn\'t capture anything :)

wantprize

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 05:53:32 AM »
I don\'t know and haven\'t heard of Xkey (perhaps you can tell a bit more or give a link to where I can read some additional information)...but! I guess that anti-keyloggers protect against capturing the data entered with the keyboard (correct me if I\'m mistaken). So let them protect and the software I mean will, pretending to be an antivirus, copy the files from the flash card ;)
I don\'t know if such protection exists, I would suggest closing the access to the files on the flash card  ::) and if some program tries to read anything from the card you would get a kind of a pop-up that some software is trying to read some file and should it be allowed  or not?
There\'s of course a minus, you would need to install such a security software from the flash card to control the access and this may not be to the liking of the owner of the computer your card is connected to as he does not know what exactly you are installing ;)

Tyler

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
Hey, guys.

I read your discussion and here is what I think:

What about using an encryption software, Strong Disk, for example?
It encrypts all the data on the flash-drive, so , even if you lose it you can be sure that noone will steal your info. While it is  encrypted the disk looks like an unformatted one and any data reading is possible only after entering the password.  I suppose that it is much easier to install such a program on your flash-drive than to find the one, that can scan your fingers:) As for the protection of the information AFTER entering the password there is a plenty of software designed specially for flash drives(so called \'portable editions\') that work from the flash drive, so I am almost sure that you can install a portable version of an anti-virus or other security software that will prevent the stealinf of info masked as  a \'virus scan\';)

gordo

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »

Encrytion is the way to go. TrueCrypt is free and open source.
1.   download to your comp and install TrueCrypt from www.truecrypt.org Click \'create volume\' to create a standard TrueCrypt volume. Click \'select device\' - choose your USB flash drive, click it, then choose OK.
2.Click \'next\' to see the encryption options  you can use, click \'next\' to accept the volume size, then enter a password.
3. Move your mouse over the \'next dialogue\' to set a random starting point for the TrueCrypt encryption, then click \'format\' to format the flash drive.
 4. To access the Flash Drive click \'select device\' in TrueCrypt and chose the flash drive. Select \'mount\' enter your password and the Flash Drive will now appear in explorer Click \'dismount\' to
remove the drive.

Your done

34yo

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 03:16:39 AM »
Hi, again
The kind of devices I\'m talking about also use encryption, it\'s really not very easy to find the precise description of how the mentioned Xkey, for example, exactly works (I suppose it\'s something like know-how  8) and they don\'t say) but you follow these links at leats to get a bit acquainted with the device ::)

http://www.vnunet.com/articles/bigpicture/2044973

http://www.vnunet.com/personal-computer-world/hardware/2044973/systems-xkey

Jonny_boy

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
Hah, have you seen the prices for this M-Systems\' Xkey gadget? 256 Mb - almost 600 USD!!! I would never pay that money for something that I cannot visually see working (I mean anti-spyware protection, integrated into this thing).

For me the best way to keep data stored on a flash drive is encryption. StrongDisk has already been mentioned there. And TrueCrypt also ;) These programs seem to be good enough to keep data protected. In case you are such a paranoid that you think someone may steal your data there are 2 options for you: 1) do not store important information on a flash-drive; 2) protect each file with a password. But  don\'t forget to remember it later when you need this file ;D.

loksmith

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
One way that I have seen used to protect  data on a hard drive could also be used on a flash disk.

First of all the data is encrypted, using whatever encryption tool you are most familiar with.

Second, the disk should be prepared for writing, either by formatting it with the default FAT system used for most flash drives, or by using a cryptographic file system.

Third, the encrypted data is written to the disk/drive.

Finally, erase the partition table of the disk/drive, if the FAT formatting is used.

This will cause the device to appear as unformatted to most systems so that the data cannot be seen by the host OS. If the cryptographic file system is used, unless the host OS has drivers to read that file system, it cannot see the files you have placed on it.

This provides security from programs designed to scan flash drives when they are plugged in.

Using a simple tool like rescuedd, the files can easily be found and unencrypted when they are again needed, and connected to a trusted system.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:02:12 PM by loksmith »

Jonny_boy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
Perhaps you meant "Dd rescue"? Cause I was trying to find "rescuedd" and haven\'t succeeded. In fact, it is a nice way to protect your data in such a way...

But in my opinion this is a bit to say ... exaggerated. I cannot imagine myself doing these \'extreme\' operations to keep my data safe. If you plan to use public PC for some purposes and you desperately need to connect your flash-drive to it then probably it would be better to have 2 discs: on one you will store important data and another one will be something like a basket for temporary data.

loksmith

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Ah yes, DD Rescue it is, my alias is backwards!

I agree that this is a very paranoid method, but I have seen it used, and have had to recover data from drives confiscated from people using this method to hide information. As you mentioned, if something requires that much security or privacy, why connect it to an untrusted system. That is one question I have asked of those whose drives I have worked on. If they would not have connected to an untrusted system, they would not have been caught!

littleT

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 06:00:51 AM »
I\'m not very good at computers in general and security questions in particular. But I would like to have that anti-keylogging tool, because I need to ensure protection of my computer. I\'ve got some reflections on security, I would perhaps deviate from the topic, but still, I really would like to be among the winners
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:44:28 AM by littleT »